Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Ah, zucchini...

People typically wonder what to do with those giant zucchini that pop up in the garden in late summer. In some areas I have lived, you better lock your car, or else you may wake up to a back seat full of anonymously donated zucchini.  Well, last week, I was cleaning the garage, and happened upon two giant zucchini, in perfect working order.  Who says you can't store summer squash!




Here are a couple pictures showing what I did with one of them. The other is still sitting on the counter waiting its' turn.  There were a lot of really big seeds in the middle. Maybe one could roast them like a pumpkin seed. I did not, however. They went into the pig food bucket.




All those slices dried up to one plate full. Zucchini really are mostly water. They dried really fast; half a day I think.  The skins turned grey like lizard skin.  I put them in a freezer bag and in the cold pantry. I am not sure what to do with them just yet.

Over the summer, I shredded one and dried the shreds. They shriveled up in the dehydrator and stuck together. When removed, they formed a dried zucchini net. I laid pan sized pieces as layers when I made lasagna. You could not tell, texture-wise, but it added a very rich yet subtle flavor.  It was a hit.  It is a personal mission of mine to find new ways to sneak vegetables into our food.  Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment